Parents: Walter and Johanna Slezak
Siblings: Ingrid, Leo
Husband: Brian Davies
Children: Michael, Amanda
Born: Hollywood, California
A graduate of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London, Erika was admitted to the prestigious school when she was only 17, one of the youngest students ever accepted. But honors in the world of the arts are a tradition in her family.
Her father, the late Walter Slezak, starred in many films and Broadway hits, among them Fanny, for which he won the Tony Award. Erika's grandfather was the world-famous operatic tenor, Leo Slezak, who sang in Vienna and Berlin, as well as at New York's Metropolitan Opera.
Born in Hollywood, Erika learned to speak German at home before she learned English. For high school she attended the Sacred Heart Schools in Greenwich, CT, and Philadelphia, PA.
When did Erika first decide she wanted to act?
"I can't recall a time when I didn't want to act. When I was a sophomore in high school, my father talked to me about training for a career in acting?One thing my father did for me was not discourage my ambitions. But he made sure I had no illusions about the acting profession, explaining that it was going to be harder for me because I had a famous father. I would have to prove myself more than others and, as usual, he was right."
Before making her debut in television on One Life to Live, Erika established solid credentials in the theater. She was a member of the Milwaukee Repertory Company for three seasons, where she starred in everything from Shakespeare to Noel Coward, and she acted for another season at the Alley Theater in Houston.
Erika is the only Slezak of her generation to pursue an acting career. Her sister, Ingrid, is an attorney and her brother, Leo, is a pilot.
Erika and her husband, actor Brian Davies, have two children, Michael and Amanda. The family lives in a suburb of New York.
source: ABC online
Reviews and pictures
Read reviews and see all pictures noted below Reviews
- Henrietta Barrett in "The Barretts of Wimpole Street"
- Tsai Yong in "Lute Song"
- Amahl's mother in "Amahl and the Night Visitors"
- Role in "Daddy Long Legs"
Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts, London
- The Countess in Jean Anouilh's "The Rehearsal"
- Adele in Lorca's "The House of Bernarda Alba" Picture
- Sue Smith in Otto Harbach's and Frank Mandel's "No, No Nanette"
Milwaukee Repertory Theater, 1966-1967 Season
- Electra in Sophocles' "Electra", 10/20/66, 33 performances
- Gilda in Noel Cowards's "Design for Living", 12/29/66, 26 performances
- Nerissa in Shakespeare's "Merchant of Venice", 1/26/67, 41 performances
- Role in Douglas Taylor's "The Sudden and Accidental Death of Horse Johnson", 2/28/67, 9 performances
- Old Cook in Bertolt Brecht's "Puntila and His Servant", 4/6/67, 26 performances
- Hedda in Henrik Ibsen's "Hedda Gabler", 5/4/67, 27 performances
Ivanhoe Theater, Chicago, Summer of 1967
- Elizabeth Imbrie in Philip Barry's "The Philadelphia Story"
Milwaukee Repertory Theater, 1967-1968 Season
- Desdemona in Shakespeare's "Othello", 10/12/67, 33 performances Picture
- Wilhelmina in Allen Davis' "Head of Hair", 11/21/67, 6 performances
- Alcmena in Jean Giraudoux's "Amphitryon 38", 12/14/67, 26 performances Picture
- Queen Elizabeth in Schiller's "Mary Stuart", 1/18/68, 26 performances Picture
- Juliet in Douglas Taylor's "Oh Pioneers", 2/20/68, 9 performances
- Dixie in Clifford Odets' "The Big Knife", 3/28/68, 26 performances
- Cecily in Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest", 4/25/68, 35 performances
- Queen Elizabeth in Schiller's "Mary Stuart", 6/12/68, 15 performances Picture
- Alcmena in Jean Giraudoux's "Amphitryon 38", 7/68, 14 performances Picture
Milwaukee Repertory Theater, 1968-1969 Season
- Sabrina in Thornton Wilder's "The Skin of Our Teeth", 10/11/68, 36 performances Picture
- Dulcy in George S. Kaufman's and Mar Connelly's "Dulcy", 11/15/68, 36 performances
- Masha in Anton Chekhov's "Three Sisters", 1/31/69, 36 performances
- Charlotte Corday in Peter Weiss' "Marat/Sade", 3/7/69, 36 performances Picture
- Freida in J.B. Priestley's "Dangerous Corner", 4/25/69, 36 performances
Houghton Lake, Michigan, Summer of 1969
- Connie in Neil Simon's "Barefoot in the Park" Picture
- Marian in Meredith Wilson's "The Music Man" Picture
- Lieutenant Ann in "Mr. Roberts"
Alley Theater, Houston, 1969-1970 Season
- Marianne in Moliere's "Tartuffe", 12/4/69, 38 performances Picture
- Kitty in Brandon Thomas' "Charley's Aunt", 3/12/70, 44 performances
- Elvira in Noel Coward's "Blithe Spirit", 4/30/70, 38 performances
Studio Arena Theater, Buffalo, 1970-1971 Season
- Desdemona in Shakespeare's "Othello", 2/4/71, 30 performances
Roundabout Theater, New York, New York, 1973-1974 Season
- Elizabeth in W. Somerset Maugham's "The Circle", 3/26/74, 71 performances Picture 1 2 3
Macy's Mother's Day Advertisement, 1993 Picture 1 2
Full Circle, 1996 Picture 1 2